Best Practice for LiPo Battery LongevityUpdated a year ago
BEST PRACTICE for optimum performance and longevity of your LiPo battery:
- Unplug from the main drive unit when not in use - even for short breaks
- Always start with a freshly, fully charged battery - every time!
- Always use a fire resistant container such as a battery charging bag to charge the LiPo battery.
- Never leave the battery unattended when charging
- Use the fully charged battery within a day or two
- A fully charged battery should not sit unused longer than 3 days
- Bring the battery to room temperature before charging
- Stop charging after all three LED lights have turned green - or the charger readout indicates a full charge
- Store the battery properly
- Your SwiftPaws drive will not work well, or stop working all together when the voltage gets too low.
Tips for following the items above:
- Stop using the 11.1v Home Original battery after approx. 10 minutes of motor run time to avoid over-discharging.
- Stop using the 14.8v Home Plus battery after approx. 30 minutes of motor run time to avoid over discharging.
- Purchase additional batteries or a larger capacity battery if you require longer run times
- Plan ahead - charge the battery just before use - the day before is fine - so that fully charged batteries aren't sitting longer than recommended
NOTE: the upgraded charger has a voltage readout - which takes the guesswork out and it works with both the 11.1v & 14.8v batteries.
The 11.1v Home Original battery:
- voltage should not be allowed to drop below 9.6
- fully charged battery voltage is 12.6
The 14.8v Home Plus battery:
- voltage should not be allowed to drop below 12.8v
- fully charged battery voltage is 16.8v
CAUTION: The battery should always be allowed to come to room-temperature before charging. Charging a hot or cold battery might delay charging or damage the battery. For best results, charge the battery at temperatures between 50º and 80ºF (10º-30ºC).